Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christianity 101

Religion is a tool for the propagation of the ideas of the ruling elite. No good ever comes from the institutionalization of thought processes, as is the case with every notable religion in the world today. In the end, it becomes a slug fest between various conflicting beliefs which eventually results in the corruption of religion as a whole. Religion, which had started as something pure, as a way for man to come to terms with a higher power which he clearly didn't understand. I feel religion can be a good thing, a source of joy and comfort for millions, but for this to happen, the growth process and the propagation has to be essentially organic in nature. People should adopt a religion because of their own beliefs, no other reason. I feel imposing your beliefs and practices on others is the wrong way to go and no good can ever come of it. I know I may sound like a hypocrite for saying this, but all I can say in defense is that time has indeed changed the way I look at the world around me.

Despite my many problems with Christianity, I still believe in it. When I say I believe, I mean I agree with quite a bit of what is written in the Bible. But the most important thing which still links me to the religion is the idea that I'm loved and accepted for what I am. That sense of reassurance is what still keeps me going. The problems I have with the religion are numerous however. Churches sometimes tend to lose track of whats important I feel. Money making seems to be the order of the day. And the unquestioning herd mentality is another concern. People tend to accept complete bull shit just because someone says its God's word. Just because someone said it in the pulpit does not make it the cardinal truth. Analyze, criticize, do something. I remember sometime back in youth fellowship, when someone said smoking was a sin. Why? Because it says in the Bible that its a sin to harm your body. Well, then isn't eating junk food a sin? Isn't over-eating a sin? Who decided what to include and what not to include in this list? Did they decide this in a meeting of some sort, cause I sure as hell wasn't invited.

What I'm trying to say is its good to follow a religion, but don't just blindly follow everything the preacher-man says.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Ning said...

agree agree, akash.
true.
church has the power to be responsible or irresponsible. we just get accepted by the most broadminded God and then we allow ourselves to slip again into more narrow-mindedness.

December 23, 2008 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Epic_Lad said...

Yeah, so I think we should just get back to the basics. Religion in the simplest, purest form.

December 25, 2008 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home