Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm in a musical vacuum these days. Haven't really listened to anything other than random offerings from DJ Baby Anne. My musical fluctuations sometimes make me wonder if I'm really a "metal head". I mean, I really don't care for extreme metal with their grotesque lyrics. Really, how is "Prepare to witness a place of gore, of legal dissection and blood on the floor" supposed to signify freedom or angst, or any other emotion that metal is supposed to signify? I listen to the genre only when I'm in the mood for fast paced, adrenaline pumping, energetic beats. Lyrics are a distant second in the priority list (Most of the time anyway). Another problem is the lack of quality among new entrants. The last "good" metal band I heard was Probot, and even those fuckers went emo for their sophomore album.

So that brings me to pop-rock. Still one of my more favoured genres, simply because of the whole mindlessness of it. Laugh at me if you will, but I'd rather listen to Blink 182 than to Dylan seven times out of ten. Yeah, they are bunch of kids singing about inconsequential things, but thats how I like things sometimes. No delusions of grandeur (No, that ballad isn't going to solve world hunger).

Hip-hop & Rap? Fifty Cent is not rap. Run DMC, now that was rap. Oh, and I do like some new hip hop artists like Gym Class Heroes and Lupe Fiasco. A breath of fresh air is what they are.

Anyway, I was recently into the whole bboy music culture. Its not really techno, because the same beat isn't repeated a million times and passed off as music, but then its not conventional hip hop because there really isn't any vocal aspect to it either. So I'd found myslef a sweet spot musically, but I got tired of that soon enough. Which brings me to my current predicament...

5 Comments:

Blogger X said...

lol, try Jazz, its supposed to be one of those cool genres...

November 5, 2008 at 5:00 AM  
Blogger Ben Ning said...

you got a point about the song not going to solve world hunger.
you might like jazz, or old blues, the first ones, by the African Americans.

November 6, 2008 at 2:03 AM  
Blogger Epic_Lad said...

Heard enough blues in Shillong. Jazz? Dont listen to much of it. Monk is good. And "Kyoto Jazz Massive" and "Tokyo Jihen" too. But thats as far as I'll go.

November 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Raeesa Vakil said...

Indie pop (?)
World music (?)

I have a fair amount of jazz, if you want.

November 7, 2008 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Epic_Lad said...

Jazz sound interesting, but no more Indie pop. At least thats what I think it was.

November 9, 2008 at 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home