Friday, May 9, 2008

A Guide to IPL Teams for Dummies (From a guy who knows close to nothing about IPL)

Yes yes, I KNOW its a bit late for this primer, but better late than never huh? Anyway, here's my team-by-team guide to the final nail in the coffins of every other sport in India, a.k.a. the Indian Premier League. Bear in mind that I know very very little about the IPL.

Bangalore Royal Challengers
Vijay Mallya, with the help of Charu Sharma, Martin Crowe, Venkatesh Prasad and Rahul Dravid, has essentially bought a top-notch test squad. The only problem here is that each innings can last only 20 overs. Not ideal conditions for test batsmen, who normally require at least a good 50 deliveries or so to get off the mark. This would mean that if they played like they usually do, then Bangalore fans can rest easy knowing that their team will put up an imposing total of.....12 for no loss at the end of 20 overs.


Mumbai Indians
I've always had problems with the name of Mukesh Ambani's squad. The Mumbai "Indians"? All the IPL teams are Indian you idiots!!! Its like having some NBA team called the Los Angeles Americans. Okay, the captain/icon player here is obviously Sachin Tendulkar. But fairly decent squad this, with Sanath Jayasuriya and Pollock. Bowling attack could have been better, and it doesn't help when one of them goes around slapping opponents and thus, getting banned in the process. If the IPL does prove anything, it is this: Indian billionaires are complete fuckall when it comes to sports (Well, maybe not Mittal).

Chennai Super Kings
India Cements, the owners of the Chennai Super Kings, apparently have extremely deep pockets. How else does one explain them paying $1 million for M.S. Dhoni, and $91 million to acquire the rights of the franchise for the next decade. All this money power is well and good, I'll always have my doubts about any team which has Kris Srikkanth as its brand ambassador. Other than that, I have to admit they've got a solid team with excellent batsmen and bowlers. But I'll always remember them for having the cricketer with the funniest name, Napoleon Einstein.

Kolkata Knight Riders
I don't mind the team, I really don't. Its just three things about the franchise that really ticks me off. First, Shah Rukh Khan and his posse of tag-alongs. They cant sit still, always ALWAYS have to cheer a wicket/boundary in the most extravagantly embarrassing manner and the bloody camera has to keep focusing on them more than the match itself. Second, why would anyone name their franchise after a lame 80's TV show about a car which could talk? Third, those stupid GOLDEN helmets. Why couldn't they be black?

Delhi Daredevils

I really don't know anything about this team, other than the fact that it has Sehwag in it. And that they are on a winning streak of some sort.

Deccan Chargers

Another team I know absolutely nothing about. They're a pretty miserable team anyway.

Rajasthan Royals

Spent the least amount of money at the player auction, so little infact that they were fined for it. I don't know who actually owns this franchise, but I do have a theory on it. I think all the royal families of Rajasthan pooled together their resources and bought the team. How's that, family Wales?!?

Kings XI Punjab

Mohali based team, owned by Preity Zinta and co. One thing I noticed was that she would go out and hug each of her players after every match. Nice. Oh, and they have the crybaby too. Come to think of it, he might have cried because she refused to embrace him after the Mumbai match.

Anyway, thats my in-depth introduction to all the teams (I think I covered all the teams...) in the IPL.

4 Comments:

Blogger faceless_facetiae said...

Keep in mind the tag line of the Deccan Chargers is "the unstoppables" and the team is owned by a newspaper. They've won two matchs and lost to Bangalore, who have now fired charu sharma.

May 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Epic_Lad said...

Thank you for the added info. Who do you think is going to win in the end?

May 11, 2008 at 2:12 AM  
Blogger faceless_facetiae said...

Yuvraj's Kings XI seem to be the favourites. I'm confident, it'll be made nail biting, even if fixed. I think they'll win all matches till the final and lose the final, much the patriots.

May 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Epic_Lad said...

My money's on Delhi...Gautam Gambhir is playing really well.

May 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home